A tsunami warning has been issued for Papua New Guinea after a strong magnitude 6.9 earthquake, according to the US Geological Survey.
The quake struck the Pacific island nation at a depth of six miles. It was centred 194 km (120 miles) east of the town of Kimbe, on the island of New Britain.
The USGS issued a tsunami warning for waves of one to three metres along the Papua New Guinea coastline after the temblor on Saturday morning local time. A caution about smaller waves of 0.3 m was issued for nearby Solomon Islands. There were no immediate reports of damage.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:

An update from the Bureau of Meteorology in Melbourne said there was "no tsunami threat to ". It comes as is still searching for survivors in the rubble left by a massive earthquake last week. The magnitude 7.7 quake toppled thousands of buildings, collapsed bridges and buckled roads. The death toll rose to 3,085 on Thursday, with more than 4,700 people injured and over 300 missing.
This is a breaking news story. Follow us on , , , , or visit homepage.
You may also like
Senate Republicans push through sweeping tax plan in overnight vote
Bukayo Saka injury return latest amid Arsenal Real Madrid fear as triple update emerges
Stomach-churning moment influencer films herself being stung by world's most venomous animal
Saturday Kitchen's Matt Tebbutt says 'if it wasn't live we'd cut that out' over show blunder
Units of 'The Girlfriend', 'Kubera' greet Rashmika Mandanna on her b'day in their own special way